TopBand: VK0IR/Thurs 1/16/97 East Coast

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: VK0IR/Thurs 1/16/97 East Coast
From: K1ZM@aol.com (K1ZM@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 04:28:26 -0500 (EST)
This is written 2330z 1/16/97 and 0200z 1/17/97

160M - Nil heard from VK0IR at K1ZM SE-NY tonight.  Think they might have
been on 26.5 but no usable signals here.

80M - Heard them 559 beginning 2215z on 3507.  They called "CQ CQ de VK0IR -
UP" repeatedly, but working very few stations, mainly Eu I think.   There was
snow static here at the time and getting calls was vy tough.

I called them on 3512 for over an hour and basically had them "CQ in my face"
the entire period.  Never did I get even so much as a QRZ.  I did not hear
them work any other USA - but there were many calling on 3512 from 2230z
until 2255z.

I heard them make one last CQ at 2318z or so - still 459 on 3507.  VE1ZZ also
heard them and re-spotted them a second time.  I called another 5 mins and
decided to chalk it up to experience with no qso.

Dunno what to make of this actually - it almost seemed as if they had RX
probs at their end!  Their signal was loud enough for me to have reasonably
expected to be heard.

But, they were not impressed with my signal tonight - that's for sure!

I did manage a 40M SSB qso around 0200z.  The ops on 40M need to remember to
listen up in the W/K phone band once in awhile.  The op (a VK sounding voice)
had called CQ with few replies listening 7070-7080 for 2 hours when finally
someone asked him to listen 7200 for USA.

He started running grateful USA stations easily - but I don't think this
would have happened without the kind intervention of a VE station who tipped
him off to do so!
73 Jeff K1ZM@aol.com