TopBand: Last night - N6TR

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Last night - N6TR
From: tree@lady.axian.com (Larry Tyree)
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 08:51:12 -0800 (PST)
As I mentioned in my previous post, ZS4TX was in last night.  He was
very strong here.  I happened to be listening to 1836 waiting to see
if I could hear him when some station tuned up and started calling CQ.

This was around 03:23z and I figured it was time to give up on Bernie.
However, it turned out that the 589 station calling CQ was him!  He
later said that he slept in a little and had just woken up.

He quickly had a big pileup, but the first station he worked after
going "up 2" was my friend, W7YAQ, who is running 100 watts and a
modest antenna.

An hour later, I was hearing Riki, 4X4NJ for only the 3rd time from
here.  He had a 339/449 signal for about 10 minutes, but the
pileup was pretty big and I didn't make it through.

Finally started hearing some Europeans after that, and worked about 6,
but it wasn't anything like the opening 8 days before.  Maybe it will
improve tonight.

Concerning the DX window and my crazy idea - I admit it is too much
to hope for - but I don't buy the arguement that we should throw the
10 kHz allocation for International QSOs out the window just because
there is a contest going on.  The NAQP SSB contest had some people
going below 1840.  They eventually got the message and moved up to
1840 (which still clobbers about 2.5 kHz from 1837.5 to 1840.0 and
that is where a UA4 got spotted).  However, I felt sorry for anyone
trying to work DX on SSB between 1840 to 1850.  I don't think they
should feel that they are encouraged to operate there just because
there is a contest.

Back to the CQ 160, it frustrating to hear someone CQing on 1836
working W's when the frequency could be used for its intended purpose.

During non contest nights and a good opening, you typically here
international QSOs and nothing else for 20 kHz (1820 to 1840).
Reducing this to 5 kHz means only the top 3 or 4 European stations
get a frequency and for those who aren't strong enough to call CQ
and attract the others, we have a tough time against the QRM created by
loud stations CQing every 500 Hertz on the rest of the band.

A typical central USA signal is about 40 db stronger than the loudest
European here.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com

PS: Here is what ON4UN has to say about 1840 on SSB: "It appears that
many are not aware that on LSB their sideband spreads 2.5 kHz down,
and that they are taking out 40 percent of the primary DX CW window
in Europe.  I would urge all SSB stations not to transmit on SSB
below 1842.5 kHz."

Furthurmore:

"From 1830 to 1840 kHz is generally considered the European CW transmit
segment, while 1820 to 1830 is considered the DX window in Europe
(that's where the DX is, and where the Europeans as well as the US
stations stay out of)."

I wonder who will be transmitting on 1826.5?