TopBand: XV7SW Progress Report

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: XV7SW Progress Report
From: 100112.3500@CompuServe.COM (Rolf T Salme)
Date: 20 Jan 97 00:19:51 EST
Hi fans,

K5ESW, Paul, has helped me to buy an ANC-4 from JPS and I have just tried it
on the air. It seems to be a very fine piece of equipment. Here are the
Stateside stations I worked on Top Band my Sunday evening between 1437 and
1521z:

 W6AJJ
 K6SSS
 W6PBI
 W6KUT
 W6RJ
 W6YA
 K6SE
 N6FF
 N6ZV
 K6TQ
 W6SVN
 K6NA
 W6UM
 W6FSJ
 NI6T
 K6CT
 N6NT
 W6AB
 W6QYV?
 AJ6T

As advised in the manual, I have made a small external dipole for noise
pickup, about 2 x 2 meters, which I have mounted vertically, since my main
antenna is an inverted L. However, this little dipole doesn't seem to pick up
enough noise on 160, though, so I think I need a larger one. I would
appreciate any advice on optimal dimensions for this particular antenna
when using it on Top Band noise - I think that many of the subscribers to
this Reflector are using the ANC-4.

I am also using the NIR-12 from JPS (again tnx to a helping hand from K5ESW),
which is doing a very good job too, since it adds a lot of crispiness to the
audio of my TR-7, although I have to keep a very light hand on the tuning
knob when I am in a pile-up!

I have had to move my coaxial receiving loop away from the previous location,
since I can't use the ground here in the embassy's garden. I am thinking of
putting this loop about 2 meters above a nearby metal roof, but I am
uncertain how much that roof will influence the loop. Proximity to a tree at
an earlier location made it almost useless.

My single permitted frequency on Top Band is 1827 kHz. Recently, I have found
1824 to be a good choice for QSX. So if you miss my "QSX...", try 1824!

73 de
Rolf
XV7SW in downtown Hanoi, busy beating the electric smog