TopBand: VK0IR in N.C.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: VK0IR in N.C.
From: n4su@ols.net (n4su@ols.net)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 09:30:58 -0600
After striking out on the only two previous chances on 160, things finally
turned around for
me and other 4's on Wed. evening 2230-2315Z. VK0IR on 1826.5 (not 1822) peaked
a good
569 from the N.E., every bit as good as previous peaks on 80M from S.E.

Why is it always S.E. (grey line) on 40M and 80M and N.E. over Europe on 160M.
I am
skeptical about a current (expert?) theory that the 160M propagation is a
result of some
ionospheric ducting or whatever. "Low level ducting" that is! I would like to
hear more on
this (from NM7M?). My Geochron time clock shows a perfect demonstration of grey
line
propagation on 30M, 40M and 80M, S.E., but certainly not on 160M!. I haven't
really listened
much on the H.F. bands.

Thanks to all who gently reminded me "Wrong VFO" on the air and on the cluster.
I still
get excited when I hear a "new one" answer my call on 160M. After 62+ years on
the air I
guess its a sure sign of immaturity.

GL to all Top Banders who still need VK0IR.

73, Dave--N4SU