TopBand: RE: Frustrating night

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: RE: Frustrating night
From: wh2z@juno.com (wh2z@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 13:44:56 EST
I want to thank everyone who has responded to me so far (1830z).  I
realize one of my mistakes.  The way I had it set up, with the one
elevated radial, was just like an inverted V on its side.  AA1K says that
ON4UN had modeled a similar antenna and it had showed gain in the
direction of the radial, with a deep null in the opposite direction (to
Europe, the way I had it set up!).  Yes, as many say, an amplifier is
nice, but I'm still trying to scrape cash together with my military pay
to buy the 930 I'm using now (Tnx N2NC).  I do hope to get a small
600-800w amp before my transfer this summer to the Pacific.
    A few mentioned I needed more elevated radials; atleast one in the
opposite direction of the one presently installed.  I would really like
to try that, however its impossible in my present location.  It would
have to run directly behind the house of an Elderly woman who must be 130
years old.  She thinks I'm in the CIA under the cover of the USCG! (I
swear!)  Better leave well be and not do something which would cause
problems!
   Since this morning, I have once again lowered the feed point to ground
level, and added 10 more radials temporarily in the main direction I
don't already have many down already: to the north east.  6 are only 70'
long, I can't go any further without running them across the street.  The
other 2 are over 100' long.   The 2:1 SWR bandwidth is about 80Khz.
    I'll give it a shakedown tonight and will let everyone know tommorrow
how it works.
Again, thanks for the bandwidth.  Thanks to K3UL, AA1K, W8RU, K8RF, K0CS,
K6STI, and all others who have replied who's messages I haven't yet
recieved.  I'm trying to take in as much knowledge as possible before I
am transferred overseas this summer (Hopefully KH2).  Also, There is no
chance of me giving up!  160 is my favorite band, unfortunately I don't
have more room to "play"!
   BTW, like I said I have a small lot, with antennas from 160-10 which
plays pretty well considering.  If anyone is in a similar situation and
would like ideas, let me know and I'd be glad to help!
   73, Dave N2NL
WH2Z@JUNO.COM

David Mueller - N2NL
Ex KE2PF WH2Z KE2PF/NH2/KH0/DU1/DU3 V63PF
Active Duty Member US Coast Guard, Cape May NJ
WH2Z@JUNO.COM