TopBand: CQWW160CW from KS

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: CQWW160CW from KS
From: jkjones@fn.net (Jon K. Jones)
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 20:53:00 -0600
"Then, at 02:30, someone must have flipped the switch: propagation is ON now.
Suddenly I find myself working
US-stations at a rate of one a minute.  New State
multipliers are rolling in: In, Tn, Fl, ND (W0ZTL), Mn,
N.M. (N5UL), Az (KC7V),  Ks (N0JK),  K5YG (Miss),
K5YAA (Ok), etc..). Boy, what an opening... ON4UN"

Glad to give John and others a multiplier.
I almost did not operate in the CQ160CW. High
winds kept me QRT first night. It was still windy
Saturday night local but I managed to deploy the balloon
vertical around 0315z. Worked V47KP, EA8EA, and
OT7T at 0334. Last QSO was at 0336 with VP5/KM9D
when the band suddenly "went dead." I feared the worst
and was not disappointed. Ran outside and found that
the balloon had pulled its ground stake out of the ground!
The coax going to the house was the only thing keeping
it from flying off. I was able to retrieve it - whew!  Later
wind slowed some and I tried again around 0650. Nice
sunrise EU opening and filled a couple of log pages
running 100w over the next hour. Nice sig from I4JMY.
73, Jon N0JK KS