TopBand: Heard island changes it's name

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Heard island changes it's name
From: larrytx@co.intel.com (LarryX Tyree contractor for brentc)
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 09:27:02 -0800 (PST)
I would like to submit that the name Heard Island should be changed to
Worked Island.

I wasn't going to tell this story - but I think the time has come.

There was a good opening to VK0 from the Pacific Northwest a week ago
(Friday morning).  A number of stations worked VK0IR.  N6TR appears to
have been one of the stations (judging from the web results when asked
to show my QSOs).

However, I wasn't home at the time as I had a 8 AM meeting across town
and left for work around 1430 UTC (well ahead of the opening).  It was
not a case of a busted callsign as several people Heard the QSO as it
took place.  I am sure someone just got really excited and couldn't
stand to hear VK0IR without anyone else coming back.

But, as you can see, I never Heard this operation on 160, but I did Work
it - therefore my suggestion for the name change.

If I get a QSL after admiting I didn't make the QSO, I will hang it on the
wall next to my P5/R0MEO card.

In other news, it seemed the south part of the country had some luck with
Europe last night.  For once, the tables were turned and I didn't have
an opening.  6W6JX was very good once again starting around 0600 and
MANY west coast stations worked him.  I did the right thing and left the
transmitter off.

Nothing Heard this morning (I will find out if I worked anything in a few
days I guess).

It has been disappointing to have easy QSOs with ZS and 6W, but not with
any of the other active African stations.  It seems many of them are not
active at their sunrise, which is really when things peak up for us on
the west coast...  So perhaps some of the guys can pick a day or two during
the week when they can try sunrise openings.  The band is open almost every
day to Africa (unlike Europe).  I only have THREE mainland African countries
worked.

Some have asked about my antenna.  I use a loaded 80 foot tower with some
elevated radials (mostly to avoid the lawnmower).  You can see some pictures
and more description at http://www.contesting.com/km9p/n6tr/.  I use it
on receive more often than not as well as I am blessed with a pretty
quiet QTH (except when it rains a lot as it is now).  My incremental
investment over the coast of the initial tower is about $30.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com