TopBand: Heard island changes it's name

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Heard island changes it's name
From: ni6t@scruznet.com (Garry & Yelena)
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 12:03:40 -0800
LarryX Tyree contractor for brentc wrote:

> However, I wasn't home at the time as I had a 8 AM meeting across town
> and left for work around 1430 UTC (well ahead of the opening).  It was
> not a case of a busted callsign as several people Heard the QSO as it
> took place.  I am sure someone just got really excited and couldn't
> stand to hear VK0IR without anyone else coming back.
> =

> But, as you can see, I never Heard this operation on 160, but I did Wor=
> it - therefore my suggestion for the name change.
> =

> If I get a QSL after admiting I didn't make the QSO, I will hang it on =
the
> wall next to my P5/R0MEO card.

Cuz:

I want to commend you and to express my respect for your statement
renouncing the Q you did not make. I was among those who heard the event
and presumed it was your QSO. I think there are many who would have
quietly taken the counter and submitted it. You have demonstrated a
sense of self and of integrity that is, alas, sadly lacking in many of
our brethren--the idiot who purloined your call in particular.

I have personally witnessed bogus QSO's with rare countries/zones where
stations not even QRV on that band received the credit--and at the
expense of someone else actually in there trying. This type of behavior
is beneath contempt. Unfortunately, no one seems to care.

I hope you are able to identify your "benefactor" and set him straight
about his value system.

Very 73,
> =

-- =

Garry Shapiro, NI6T
Editor, =93The DXer,=94 newsletter of the NCDXC
Visit the Northern California DX Club 50th Anniversary page:
http://www.aa6g.org/ncdxc50.html