TopBand: Bonding radials

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Bonding radials
From: miltj@aepnet.com (Milt Jensen)
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 17:17:41 -0700
To all interested,
        The exothermic process is the correct name and "Cadweld" is a brand
type.
I have used it extensively for some 30 years.  Not only is it used to
"weld" copper conductors together, but also to "weld" the copper conductors
to steel structures, etc.
        All the extensive grounding mats in electrical substations are done in
this fashion with the mat also connected to all the steel structures,
fencing, etc.
        With regards to the compression fittings mentioned in another post, they
are used extensively above ground, primarily for splicing and terminating
conductors.  The most common types are made of an aluminum alloy that has
the connection portion filled with an oxide inhibiting compound.   They are
excellent, and allow the connection of dissimilar metal conductors (ie.
copper and aluminum.  They are quite inexpensive, but the tool is another
story.  The least expensive is a leverage hand operated type that costs
$200-250.  A hand held hydraulic model starts at about $750.  Pump driven
hydraulic models cost in excess of $1,200-1,500.
        There are other types of compression connectors made of copper, bronze,
etc.  These are less commonly used in electric line construction as most
conductors (overhead and under ground) are made of aluminum, aluminum
alloys, or aluminum conductor steel reinforced.
        Electric utility line supply vendors are the best source for the
connectors and tools.  As mentioned by others, you may be able to purchase
them from your local electric utility, or the utility may special order
them for you at a price less than what you would pay direct.  Also, upon
purchasing the connectors, the utility may let you borrow the compression
tool

        Good luck, es 73 de

Milt Jensen     ARS N5IA
Virden NM Rt. Box 176
Duncan, AZ -- 85534
E-Mail address = miltj@aepnet.com
Home:  505-358-2105     FAX: 505-358-2447
Work:  520-359-2503      FAX: 520-359-2371

To: <topband@contesting.com>