TopBand: Fwd: Contest Venting, Windows, etc. (long)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Fwd: Contest Venting, Windows, etc. (long)
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 12:46:18 -0500 (EST)
---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj:    Contest Venting, Windows, etc. (long)
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Date:    97-02-24 12:44:37 EST
From:    K3BU
To:      btippett@ctc.net

In a message dated 97-02-23 22:39:54 EST, W4ZV writes:

<< Please no more posts on this issue until someone steps forward who
actually
 wants to do something rather than wasting bandwidth venting.  This is
 not the intended use of this reflector! >>

OK, I volunteer to find out what is the opinion of 160 m contest community on
the following issues: (please do not recopy the whole text, just use the item
numbers)

1. K4JRB in the 96 results writeup specifically asks in bold: "The CQ Contest
Committee is again asking that stations stay out of the window (1.830 - 1.835
MHz) from dusk to dawn local time. .... Please do not park your CQ machine in
the window, and have the courtesy to allow others to have a crack at the DX.
... "

W2GD "owned" and sat on 1835.7 almost the whole contest. I hoped that maybe
they will move some times. Second night, end of Eu opening and they still hog
that frequency and wipe out DX window down to 1832. There are few weak
stations in there, I am trying to make them out, just as the they say they
callsign, here comes the splash from W2GD sideband. Their signal was loud,
but overmodulated and overcompressed wiping out the DX window.
When I asked them to move up a little bit, I was brushed off. When I said:
"would you like me to do to you, what you are doing to DX window?" Operator
said: "Yea, go ahead?" So I went up 1837.7 I called CQs. Looks like they
didn't like it (wonder why?) After about 15 minutes, W2GD came on my
frequency and tried to "negotiate". He said that I am the first one to
complain, that they sat on that frequency whole contest and everything was
fine, except me. I find that hard to believe, but maybe I was the only one. I
gave them "my" frequency and hoped that I freed at least one kHz of DX window
for the rest of the contesters. But later they slid to 1836.1 and wide open
gain/drive again. After the window closed to Europe, and another argument
with WR8C (I think) they moved up the band. EA8ZS, CU2CE and few others were
able to make few more people happy with multiplier.

In case they didn't know, I tried to reason and explain that if you sit on
1835.7 and transmit on LSB, you are producing signal (depending on quality of
TX filtering system) that is reaching down at least 3 kHz (2.1 filter at 6
db, abt 3 kHz at 40 db down + ~300 Hz carrier offset + overdriving) It is
illegal to transmit with LSB signal less than 2.7 kHz from the lower end of
the phone band, you would be in violation of the rules and could have your
license revoked. (New rigs like TS870 allow to use TX DSP processing where
you could produce SSB signal that is about 2.3 kHz at 6dB down). So unless
you know what the actual width of your SSB signal is, to be safe, one should
not transmit below 1802.7. There were few stations who did. Applied to DX
window that would mean 1837.7 to be the frequency for the next station up
from the window.

The "other end" of DX window was "owned since 3pm" by W4MYA at 1829. Clearly
"legal" but not making it easy for DX and US hams to work each other. But at
least he was 1 kHz below the edge of DX window, so with narrow filter setting
and notch you could dig out weak ones between 1801 and 1802.

So the question number 1 is: Was I the only one bothered by the above? What
is your opinion and what should be done about it, if someone is transmitting
signal in the DX window or out of the band?

2. On "owning the frequency". There is about 40 kHz of band on 160 that
allows most of the world to communicate on phone (except those who ingore
their country regulations as per DJ8WL posting). Divide that by 2 kHz of
clean and narrow SSB signals, that gives you about 20 spots, minus 3 for DX
window, leaves about 17. Now you get bunch of serious, full powered stations
that get on before the contest and claim ownership of the spot, park their CQ
machines for the entire contest. The result? They manage to secure the clear
channel for themselves, they can hear DX answering them. With DX window wiped
out, they are the only ones having a chance to work DX.

I had even "funny" one hapened to me. I found a clear spot (!), I started
CQing and work a bunch for about 15 minutes. Here comes K3ANS and says: "Can
I have my frequency back?" Stunned, not being sure about the ownership
rights, I said: I guess, go ahead! and moved on above 1900.

Offshoot of "owning" the frequency is, as KM1H pointed out, that some people
park their contest machine, without really "being there", while going off to
work someone "off their frequency" that did not come to call them.

Back in old days, it was that when the pileup dried up, you would go and
hunt, someone else would get on and have run for a while, or when DX called
you and manged to wrestle frequency from you, you kinda "oh well" gave up,
demand outvoted you and you moved on. I feel sorry for those who go on the
contest expedition only to find out that band has been already taken, and
there is no room for them!

The question number 2 is: How do you feel about "owning" the frequency?
Should station "have right" to particular spot for the entire contest? What
should we do about it? Would wider DX window on SSB help? How does it look at
the other side of the pond?

3. There is seems to be a trend to "push and bend" the rules, not only in ham
radio, but all the way to the presidential office. Is this the sign of the
times? Is this OK?  Am I old fashioned and out of touch?

I used to be involved in "normal" sports (played team handball in
Czechoslovakian League) and all sports have the rules. YOU HAD TO PLAY BY THE
RULES or you were penalized, disqualified, thrown out. That's what the rules
are for. If we have the game (contesting) with rules, we should play by the
rules. Otherwise where is the limit? Does someone think that by being
"clever" by getting around or plainly violating the rules is OK? Should we
get into the race who is "more clever" and can run more power, stake out the
frequency week ahead and wipe out the DX window for rest of the contesters?
We were self policing, considerate, gentlemen, some even knights of
contesting, proud of our clean victories, big or small. I have been out of
ham radio for 10 years, did things change in the mean time?

The question number 3 is: Should we have rules and PLAY by the rules? Should
those found in violation of the rules be punished, (suspended license,
disqualified, ?) and how do we go about it? Should the members of contest
committee do some observing, policing, and remainding violators that they are
out of line?

I had the warm feeling about VE3EJ operation and I was proud of my fellow VE.
He demonstrated this contest and in the past that you can win while obeying
the rules and ethics. He had clean signal, moved around and sounded like a
true contest knight in contrast to some others who looked like a garbage
trucks on the Daytona 500 track.

Sorry for the bandwidth (where else does it belong? it' s160 and contesting),
but I feel things are getting bit out of hand, and I hope that we can
continue to be self policing and behave by the rules. We are not going to
attract more people to contesting and ham radio with behaviour like that. I
have lost interest in DXing and DXCC way back when lists came on scene. (In
case you have not noticed, I haven't even tried to work VK0IR etc. - leaving
DXers more chance). Is contesting going to be poisoned by few too?

I was sorry to see W2GD to be the one in question. I admire John's ability
and results, but it saddens me that fellow NewJersian and FRCer couldn't see
anything wrong with the way his team operated. Nothing personal, just hoping
that this would shed some light on obviously growing problems. Wonder what
John thinks about this after the contest heat cools off.

To those who were going to flame me being sore loser, save the electrons:
"Yea, I am a sore loser, I wanted to beat W2GD with my dipole in the trees,
one 150 ft slinky and low power, and darn!, I could not do it. So here it is
- sour grapes."

Sooo, if I am out of wack here, I can see two routes: one - croll under the
rock and leave the "contesting" to those who enjoy it the way it is going, or
- two - get "competitive" and beat them at all costs regardless of rules (if
it's OK). That means for the next one - go more east, get some phased
beverages to reject rest of you poor suckers of the back, set up 8-square, or
if needed 16-square (each with own Lampedusa 400W amplifier), park on 1835.1
week before the contest and wait for the starting bell. Wonder who can top
that? (Well, I can think of few "clever" things, but won't mention it here
not to plant some wacky ideas.)

Personally, I like the idea of self policing and gentlemanly behaviour, it is
a hobby - sport, lets be considerate and ALL have fun and make inviting for
others and not to turn people off. Lets push the limit with technology and
skill and not with rude and inconsiderate behaviour. I think that Trophy
would then shine much brighter and fellow competitors would admire the champ.

If you care, please replay directly to me, I will try to summarize and make
the results available on home pages and if graciously permited by W4ZV even
on 160m reflector.
I hope this helps to make our sport better, more enjoyable and invite more
bearers of contest points. Isn't that what we want?

de Yuri, K3BU, VE3BMV, one of N2EE