TopBand: Re: Beverage

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: Beverage
From: hwardsil@wolfenet.com (Ward Silver)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 07:22:17 -0800 (PST)
>  >
>  >I gave up years ago trying to make a 2 wire beverage (550' ) work well.
>  >None of the published transformer designs worked worth a hoot and as you
>  >discovered front to back was nil.
>  > >>

> I obtain about 20 dB f/b in my two wire Beverages.
>
> NI8G copied my system, and acheived the same results.
>
> There is no reason, other than improper design or installation, that a
> reversable two wire Beverage will have less performance than a single
> wire antenna.
>
> I use one inch spaced wire, good transformers at both ends, uniform height,
> and proper termination.
>
> 73 Tom

I would like to know if the design of the 2-wire, reversible Beverage
depends on "certain assumptions" that may not be widely known. (I don't
know!)  Such as; ground conductivity between the ends, balance between the
two wires with respect to ground, symmetry of connections at the
feedpoint, etc.

I've seen several conflicting anecdotes about the successes or lack
thereof of the 2-wire design.  Perhaps there is a hidden variable that, if
not controlled, degrades the performance of the design?

73, Ward N0AX