TopBand: Front End Saver Box

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Front End Saver Box
From: lmenzel@millcomm.com (Larry Menzel)
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 18:14:46 -0600
Listophiles:

In my recent forray to set up my beverage antennas, many of you cautioned
me regarding protecting the receiver while transmitting.  Lotsa current
coming back over the beverages.

Anyhow, the bottom line is, use a relay circuit at the back of the rig.
Now, I'm not the handiest dude with a soldering iron and schematic, so I
asked a few questions of some of you.  The answer that came back several
times was due to an article in CQ a couple months ago by Gary Nichols,
KD9SV.  He and an engineer friend, Chuck Lewis, designed a little box to
solve the problem.

I talked with Chuck this afternoon, and ordered one of them.  I know
several fellows who have damaged their receivers due to this problem, and
thought it might be of general interest...usual disclaimers, I have no
interest in this at all dah dee dah dee dah....

Heres the stuff:

Avaliable three ways:  Finished built in the box:  $49.95
                         Built board, you supply connectors, box and assemble:
$29.95
                         Kit, you plug it, whole nine yards:  $22.95
                          (All plus $4.OO shipping and handling via US Mail.)

All include complete documentation for construction and use.  Basically a
relay system to ground the recieve side when transmitting so prevent rf
damage.  Also a keying circuit for the linear.

Neato and available from:

Chuck Lewis
9229 Goldenrod Drive
Fort Wayne, IN  46835
(219) 485-1458

He's happy to talk and take orders over the phone. He accepts MC/VISA for
convenience.

Hope this is of some use to ya'll.

Larry Menzel N0XB
Northfield, MN

                 / )|         Larry Menzel         |( \
                / / |     Financial Consulting     | \ \
              _( (_ |     Minneapolis MN 55431     | _) )_
             (((\ \>| /->    The Bicycle Is    <-\ |</ /)))
             (\\\\ \|/ /  The Key To Happiness  \ \|/ ////)
               \    _/   lmenzel@millcomm.com     \_    /
               /   /|      lmenzel@juno.com        |\   \