TopBand: Season start date?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Season start date?
From: larrytx@co.intel.com (LarryX Tyree contractor for brentc)
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 10:38:44 -0800 (PST)
Hello Gentlemen-

de N6TR

So - when is the "official" start date for the season?  I think
I have seen September 1 used, but it would seem a date closer to
June 21st would be more appropriate (at least in the northern
hemisphere).  I would vote for 1 July (I can count my CY0AA
QSO then!).  I was going to compile some statistics and compare
them to the previous year - but would like to use the same yardstick
everyone else is.

After last nights great opening, I was hopeful the band would be
in good shape this morning.  RW0LL was coming in 579 around 1345Z.
He was CQing on 1824 - but seemed to have some difficulty hearing
as well as he was getting out.

YB0ARA/9 was coming in for 30 or 40 minutes (on and off as he went
to 80 and then had NI6T bring him back to 160).  Look for Phil on
1827.  I think he will be hitting the band early enough for many
people to work him (based upon the times he was on last night and
reports from people who know him).

Listened hard for the 4S7, but nothing heard.

VK3ZL checking in with a good signal about 20 minutes after my
sunrise.  I listened for JF6RSK briefly - but he was pretty weak.

In the QSL department, zone 17 showed up in the form of UN5J via
W3HNK.  Also, 6W6JX reports that he has been very busy and has
fallen behind in QSLing.  He is working on getting labels printed
and will be responding to the cards he has soon.  If someone can
QSP HP3FL's address - that would be nice.  EU6AF continues to be
on my (and most everyone elses) most wanted list - followed by
YS1ZV, but at least now I have a YS1RRD QSO - so maybe I won't
care anymore.  If anyone knows KB5IPQ, please ask for my $4
back or have it donated to the XU6WV ANC-4 fund.

Also, the PJ5AA cards came - nice to finally scratch that one off
the list.

This week has proven once again how exciting this band can be -
when you least expect it.  I just played a tape of W7YAQ's QSO
with GW4VEQ for Bob in the parking lot here at Intel - he was
very excited by the whole thing.  N7EX only slept about 3 hours
after working ZS8IR this week - and I know exactly why - because
it took me hours to calm down as well.  About the only other
radio experience for me that equals the "high" is working the
CW Sprints.

This band allows you to experience the thrill of radio DXing in
ways that no other band below 30 MHz can do (yes - moonbounce
is on my list - maybe in 20 years).

Hope we have more chances like last night to exchange best wishes
over the air.

73 Tree N6TR/7 (in Oregon - not CA as reported on the cluster)
tree@contesting.com