TopBand: Bandplan

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Bandplan
From: bernie.mcclenny@mail.wdn.com (Bernie McClenny, W3UR)
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 00:29:21 -0800
km1h@juno.com wrote:

> While I completely agree with Bill's and others comments that all band
> users must be a part of the process; I do not feel that the contesters
> should enjoy any special privileges in the weighting of the responses.
> In fact just the opposite might be considered.
> Many of us on this reflector are DXers AND Contesters...in that order. On
> the Contest Reflector it is just the reverse with many.
>
> Please; just carefully consider the needs of us that are around the band
> for 365 days a year versus those that show up for a few weekends.
>
> 73...Carl   KM1H

I agree w/ Carl.  Contesters should not have any special privileges in the
weighting of the responses and just the opposite should be considered.  I
must say that I am a DX'er first and contester second.  I suggest that
we keep the band plan just as it is.  In my opinion the only time
the band was a mess was the CQ 160 SSB Contest.  I would suggest that
we have CQ change there rules.  So that all DX can transmit where ever they
want, preferable below the suggested US freq (1840 or 1850).  Have a rule
that all US and Canadian stations must transmitt above given frequency (1840
or 1850).  We do it on 40 and 80 meters.  Almost all stations have the
ability to operate split.  I would hate to give up any privileges that I
all ready have.  Lets just suppose that some South Americans decide to go
to San Felix, CE0X.  They get on SSB on 1830 or what ever frequency below
the US frequency.  They don't listen up.  We can not call them.  Granted
this is an extreme, but we can not call them.  Just my opinion, I hope
we can figure another way without giving up anything.  73 de Bernie

--
Bernie McClenny W3UR (ex WR3E, WB3JRU)
http://www.wdn.com/thedailydx