TopBand: Top Hat Loaded Verticals

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Top Hat Loaded Verticals
From: donovanf@sgate.com (Frank Donovan)
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 20:49:05 -0400 (EDT)
The technique John describes to significantly reduce the ground losses in
his short 160M verticals is well known by antenna engineers.  One of the
best references is IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation,
November 1973, "An Array Technique for Reducing Ground Losses in the HF
Range."  This article describes how inefficient vertical radiators can be
arrayed together to improve their net efficiency.  The improved efficiency
results from reduced ground losses brought about by the array's lower
ground energy density simply because the total energy is spread over a
larger ground area.

This method is also commonly used to reduce the losses of Beverage
antennas operating in the HF range by arraying three or more closely
spaced Beverages. Three Beverages spaced side-by-side separated by a
distance approximately equal to their height above ground improves the
efficiency by approximately 3 dB compared to a single Beverage for typical
soil conditions.

73
Frank
W3LPL