TopBand: Split Gorunds for Folded Feed Verticals?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Split Gorunds for Folded Feed Verticals?
From: ji3m@maxwell.com (James R. Duffey)
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 17:19:58 -0600
It is too late at work to think analytically so I am reading my e-mail. I
have been following the Top Hat Loaded Verticals thread and find that I
have learned as much about the psychology of human interaction as I have
about antennas.

Anyway, I had a half baked idea that occurred to me when I previously used
folded feed antennas. (I didn't use them for improved efficiency, but that
is another story) I realize that the ground losses are the same for a
folded antenna as for a monopole of the same height when connected to the
same ground. Is the same true if I use an electrically isolated ground for
each fold? That is, instead of tieing the drop to the same ground the
feeder is tied to, tie it to a separate ground (or set of radials). This
would be easiest with an elevated feed of course, but then ground losses
are lower in that case anyway. Or would the ground losses be the same (as
for the separate case) if I just tied both grounds together and fed the
folded antenna against it?

I'll get out the pencil, paper, slide rule and NEC when I get home. -
Duffey KK6MC/5

James R Duffey KK6MC/5 DM65
30 Casa Loma Road
Cedar Crest, NM 87008