TopBand: 160 Early 12 May

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160 Early 12 May
From: k0ha@navix.net (Bill Hohnstein)
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 07:07:36 -0700
I was expecting a noisy night on 160 and I wasn't disappointed.
However, signals rose to the occasion:
  At 0210z I heard EM1HO calling CQ.  He was 459.  But by 0215 he
was up to 579 when I worked him.  He was 579 to 589 from then
through 0530 (when I turned the radio off), peaking 599!
  Around 0255 I barely heard HA8BE, but thought that I could
copy a report.  I'm not sure if he heard me or not (I never heard
him call me), but he was totally unreadable by around 0300.
  I tuned down in frequency and heard a strong CQ at 0205:  DF2PY!
I called and we exchanged 589's.  He came back later and I thought,
"He's 599 now!"  Wolf immediately started by saying that I was up
to 599--it don't get no better than this (isn't this when the
music starts playing and the beautiful women mysteriously show up?)!
  Anyway, by the time that we signed (0316) Wolf was going down
in strength.  I had a quick contact with IT9ZGY a little later and
spent the rest of the opening just listening.  Peter, DJ7MI, and
G3PQA all had 479 signals during my best copy of them.  The peak
opening here appeared to be a bit earlier than usual...
73,  Bill     K0HA