TopBand: 160 meters in China??

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160 meters in China??
From: frickrg@batelco.com.bh (bobndeb)
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 18:30:36 +0300
Mel (and topbanders)
   I was able to obtain an "Amateur Radio Operator's Certificate For
Visitors" while I was posted
to Shanghai  on 1994 and 1995 and where I operated as BY4/N3NGC at a club
station. I have in front of me a handout sent to me by the Liaison
Department of the Chinese Radio Sports Association (CRSA) in which the
Amateur Bands in China are listed. The following are the bands authorized as
of 1995:
1.        1.800 - 2.000 MHz        Shared with other services
2.       3.500 - 3.900 MHz         Shared
3.       7.000 - 7.100 MHz       Dedicated to amateur service
4.     10.100 - 10.150 MHz    Shared as a minor service
5.      14.000 - 14.250 MHz     Dedicated
6.      14.250 - 14.250 MHz     Shared
7.      18.068 - 18.168 MHz     Shared
8.      21.000 - 21.450 MHz     Dedicated
9.      24.890 - 24.990 MHz     Shared
10.     28.000 - 29.700 MHz     Shared
11.     50.000 - 54.000 MHz     Minor
12.     144.000 - 146.000 MHz   Dedicated
13.     146.000 - 148.000 MHz   Shared
14.     430.000 - 440.000 MHz   Minor
(I wont go into the higher stuff)

There are four classifications of operators on club stations.

        Class One is the highest.  Operators who hold this certificate may
use any legal mode on all amateur bands available in China. The transmitting
power limit is dependent on the club station from which you operate.

        Class Two - Holders of this certificate may use any legal mode on
all amateur bands, however, the transmitting power is limited under 100W on
HF and 10W on V/UHF.

        Class Three - The Operating privilages of Class 3 operators is
similiar to Class 2 but  'MAY NOT TRANSMIT ON 20 METERS BAND"

        Class Four is for SWL.

This is what the CRSA says about your visitors certificate:
        Your "Amateur Operator's Certificate for Visitors" is roughly
equivalent to "Operator's Certificate for
club amateur stations.
        With your certificate, you may apply for you operation on designated
club station or club stations (BT and BY) as a Chinese BZ holder, and may
operate on the same bands in same modes as a Chines BZ holder does, of
course, you cannot exceed the limitations stated on club's station licence.
        Also, as a BZ holder, you may not operate from any individual
amateur station in China (BA through BG). You can not bring and set up your
own station in china.
        All rules about amateur radio stated in ITU RR is applicable for you
operation in China and must be carried out.
        Within the privileged frequencies, output power, and modes you may
make normal coantact with any amateur radio stations in the world.
        During operation, guidance form club manager should be respected.

OPERATION ARRANGEMENT
        What should be mentioned here is that most club stations are only
open at certain times during working hours, and sometimes a club station may
or may not accept visitors for operations, because the club stations in
China are mostly established by education and sports organizations such as
schools and youth centers, there are only limited financial and manpower
resources available for it, so in may cases there will be only one part-time
teacher to take care of the station room. So it is better to contact the
station of your destination asking for arrangement for your operation before
you go.

Note from A92GD:
   While I was lucky to get my BY4 ticket and find a club station from which
to operate, there is one individual in Shanghai who thinks that he controls
the whole amateur radio setup in Shanghai and trys to over-rule the CRSA in
Beijing. He caused me much grief.

Good Luck in BY4 land.
A92GRUMPY DOG (EX-J28BM, EX- BY4/N3NGC)
BOB