TopBand: vintage radio compnents & parts

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: vintage radio compnents & parts
From: N7CKD.ennis@mcleodusa.net (BOLAND BARBARA)
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 1997 17:24:09 -0500
Hello fellow topbanders;  Maybe this isn't the place to ask about vintage
radios but I figured if anyone new or knows it would undoubtedly come from
someone on this reflector rather than anywhere else.

I have a vintage AM broadcast receiver by RCA Victor that uses 5 tubes, 7
paper type capacitors and an electrolytic paper capacitor.   The radio has
been in the family for many years and was almost thrown away in the garbage
as it was in a garbage sack left by my late father.  Discovering the radio,
we soon realized that this was the same radio that as kids we used to
listen to I believe it was called the Bob McNeil breakfast club out of
Chicago many years ago, and also to the Bing Crosby radio show in the
evening as well as Abbot and Costello.   The radio works; however, there is
a loud annoying hum/buzz that intereferes with the AM station audio.   I am
assuming that it is because of the paper capacitors gone dry and or the
electrolytic gone bad thus providing no filtering in the power supply.
The following are the components I would like to replace and hopefully get
the unit playing as it did back in the mid to late 40s.   I have no idea as
to the date of this unit as there is no date on it.  It uses two tuning
knobs on the front.  One for power on an volume control, the other to
control a broadcast capacitor for tuning .  Here are the capacitor values:

.035-400-20
.05-450-567
.1-30-508
.025-400
.01-1m-550
.005-600
.035-400
The electrolytic is a two section 150 volt dc; 50 mfd one section yellow
lead and 30 mfd the other red lead; it uses a third lead which is black
common negative.

The tubes are as follows ** they may be alright but it might not hurt to
have a set of spares.
35Z5 GT----------half-wave rectifier (I think)
12SA7-------------pentagrid /oscillator and mixer (I think)
12SQ7-------------dual triod/detector, agc and pre amp (I think)

I have been told that this radio may be late 30 early 40 vintage.
Would like to have a date if possible.
Any and all help greatly appreciated. de N7CKDennis