TopBand: Why is a duct?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Why is a duct?
From: kaufmann@ll.mit.edu (John Kaufmann)
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 97 17:53:05 -0400
At 04:05 PM 7/3/97 -0400, W3LPL wrote:
>Another example of very selective propagation is JA-to-East Coast on 160.
>The window starts in New England at their sunrise and moves southwest from
>there.  When the W1s are working the peak of the opening we cannot hear
>the JAs at all, then 10 minutes later they can be S9 (more likely S6
>tho...)
>73!
>Frank
>W3LPL
>donovanf@sgate.com

To elaborate further on this selectivity, I have often observed that W2's in
Eastern NY and NJ usually have a huge advantage to JA over those of us here in
Eastern MA, even at our sunrise.  Frequently we simply cannot work or even
hear
JA's that the W2's are working with relative ease.  (This also holds true for
other difficult Pacific or Asian paths around local sunrise).  As a general
rule,
very few W1's are able to work JA's with any consistency on Top Band.

73, John W1FV