TopBand: Light Dimmer Noise

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Light Dimmer Noise
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 08:57:19 EDT
I have had good results bypassing dimmers with .1MF 600V Mylar caps right
at the dimmer inside the wall box. There are 4 dimmers in this house and
3 were noisy. They are all the same brand and purchased and installed the
same time 7 years ago.

I have read in Hints and Kinks, I believe, part # of dimmers that were
RFI proof.

The same solution has worked for me to quiet down the oil burner and even
adjustable speed ceiling fan controls (SCR's??).

One remaining noise is the horizontal oscillator harmonics from TV sets
which bother 160M and the time clock from the VCR which  birdies out in
the 6M DX window!  Any solutions?

73....Carl   KM1H