TopBand: Re: Why the duct?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Re: Why the duct?
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 00:25:42 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-07-09 14:44:51 EDT, W8JI writes:

<<(de K3BU:)
 > In the mean time I am looking for any unusual (good) spots for contest
 > station (like salt water lake on the top of the hill, overlooking ocean)
on
 > the coast from ME to DE, will travel to check it out with my radiomobile.
 > Anyone with tips or experiences, please let me know.

 de W8JI:
Why? If the propagation is from ducting, the ground beyond ground
 wave distance from the antenna will have no effect at all on the
 signal.  >>

I am looking for two things that contribute to signal reception/transmission:
1. Form the biggest, sharpest lobe from the antenna (that's where lake comes
in - immediate ground)
2. Be closest to the duct (really refracting layer), to minimize amount of
refraction for getting the signal into the duct and maximize the amount of
time available for propagating (the hill). Also be close to nice smooth ducts
(over the ocean) and close to Eu, where the action on 160 is nowadays.

Amen, back to work on ductantennas, Hi.
73 Yuri, K3BU