TopBand: Slinky

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Slinky
From: ni6t@best.com (Garry & Yelena)
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 23:39:15 -0700
Dan Flaig,K8RF wrote:

> If you are so worried about analyzing these antennas why don't you buy a
> couple of slinkys and test them out instead of making all of us read
> your unhelpfull know-it-all attitude?
> I am ready to unsubscibe to the relector cause I tired of reading all
> this hot air.
> Results speak for themselves,I'll go along with the guy who's got 250+
> DXCC topband cards over twenty guys with calulators anyday.
> 73
> Dan K8RF

Dan,

I respectfully suggest that you have it backwards.

This hobby drowns in hoary shibboleths, folklore, misinformation---and a
deep-rooted mistrust of anything smacking of--Marconi
forbid--mathematics. Add to this the egocentrism and the absolute,
pathological need to have the last word in these "technical"
quarrels--not arguments-- and you have the typical reflector "technical"
discussion. Excuse me, but I LIKE real technical discussions; I DON'T
like the namecalling, personal invective and pomposity that we usually
get, instead. The use of logic, analysis and measurement in pursuit of
understanding hardly disqualifies he who uses these tools.

The "guy who's got 250+ DXCC topband cards" happens to perch on a New
Hampshire hilltop, which just might have contributed something to his
operating success on top, and which, IMHO, has nothing to do with the
analysis--or lack of same--of his receiving antennas, and which does not
justify one ounce of the vitriol he slings here and on the Amps
reflector.

But, if you really like the personal-confrontation-and-attack type of
discussion, you ought to sign up for the Amps Reflector---a cyber
tag-team match with more posturing than a Pro Wrestling championship
event.

It is a damned shame that, eventually, those who really have meaningful
contributions to make to these discussions are driven away.

--
Garry Shapiro, NI6T
Visit the Northern California DX Club home page: