TopBand: verticals

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: verticals
From: Peter.Chadwick@gpsemi.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 15:45:49 +0100
Greg asks:

>Maybe I've missed something, but I don't understand why everyone is
>so keen to achieve an exact resonance.  What is so difficult about
>tuning out the reactive part?

History says an antenna must be resonant. I've never seen a reason for
it either, but there are experts around who claim that if an 80m dipole
is more than 10KHz off resonance, it won't work - or at least won't work
DX.

It's also been claimed by the same experts that lowest SWR is always
achieved at resonance for any antenna. I trust generalisations less and
less as I get older

73

Peter G3RZP