TopBand: 160m prop/MU loop

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160m prop/MU loop
From: sire@omen.com.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 07:20:58 +0800
G'day from WA (in the land of Aus, of course!)

The propagation from VK6 to the US west coast was there again last nite -
26/07/96.  Despite heavy QRN at both ends (bursts here over S9), reports
were exchanged with nine stations (one contact incomplete) along the US
western seaboard, extending from CA into WA and up to VE7BS at Pemberton,
between 1248Z until 1328Z.  Biggest signal was from N7UA (RST 579), but a
couple of others were pushing Bob's signal.  As far as I could tell,
everyone who was calling me got through in the end, despite the relatively
poor conditions.

Propagation isn't extending much farther east than the above, but let's see
how far it will go - VK6HD and myself are around most evenings, regularly
checking the band for signals.

Keep on coming on!

73,

Steve, VK6VZ

PS My friend VK6APH modelled single turn full wave MU loop - current
distribution in the short vertical sides looks like that of a top loaded
vertical and radiation from the top and bottom wires cancels - pattern looks
absolutely fabulous for low-band DX.  Unfortunately, haven't got the room
here - house gets in the way - but I'd try one like a shot if I could.  Z
looks fine for using 50 ohm coax feed halfway down one of the vertical sides
- I'd use open wire line if I could put a MU loop up cos of its lightness.