TopBand: Signals on 1.640 MHz: DFW?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Signals on 1.640 MHz: DFW?
From: bogus@does.not.exist.com ()
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 07:04:04 -0400 (EDT)

<< I was tuning around below 160M for signals with which to test my
 Beverages, and at around 0130Z found a signal at 1.640 MHz that gave
departure
 gates for flights to many cities around the US. I believe I heard them
 identify themselves as being for Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) airport, and it
 definately was strongest on my Southwest Beverage. Can someone confirm this?

 I heard a similar station on 1.680 MHz.

 Does anyone know a source for information on stations above 1.600 MHz?
 There seem to be a number of AM stations (including broadcast stations?)
 in this range, judging by the signals heard tonight. I have the National
Radio
 Club's AM Station Map Book for stations below 1.600 MHz, but nothing for
 stations above.

 Something on the Web would be wonderful!

 73,

Am posting this again since there was some problems on AOL here this morning.

Jeff,
The station that you are hearing is called a TIS (Traveler's Information
Service) transmitter.  They are authorized to operate above 1600 kHz or on
530 kHz.  They are low power AM transmitters that are usually used around
airports (like Dallas-Fort Worth, DFW), road construction areas, or tourist
traps (like Disney World for example) and usually run about 10 watts or so.
 They are authorized on a noninterference basis, so the ones that are between
1605 and 1750 kHz are going to disapear when some of the current AM stations
begin migrating to the expanded AM band (1605-1750 kHz).  There are a number
of these stations on the air so they are a good test for your beverages.
 However, I don't  have access to a list of all of them that are on the air.
 There is one at Cleveland Hopkins on 1610 and there used to be one on in the
Akron area while I-76 and I-77 were all torn up.

 I don't know if you can find a list of them in the FCC's web site either.

 Hope this sheds some light on the subject.

73........de Goose W8AV (ex WD8LLD)

 -
 ---