TopBand: 160M RF into Create RC5A3 Rotor Box

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160M RF into Create RC5A3 Rotor Box
From: K1ZM@aol.com (K1ZM@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 01:19:08 -0400 (EDT)
Hi guys

I wonder if anyone out there has had probs with 160M RF entering the rotor
cable of a Create RC5A rotor?  My 160M Inv Vee dipole seems to be passing Rf
into the rotor cable of my RC5A3 and, when the control box is ON in the
shack, the rotor preset sensing pots are going nuts trying to rebalance each
other.  The problem occurs WHETHER THE PRESET SWITCH IS ON ON THE ROTOR
CONTROL BOX OR EVEN WHEN I SELECT MANUAL OPERATION OF THE ROTOR CONTROL BOX.
 There is a rocker switch for selecting either preset or manual control of
the rotor.  This is an analog control box - and not digital - not that it
would seem to matter much.

If I turn OFF the rotor control box, it stops the problem - which is what I
have been doing as a temporary fix.

Thus far, I have tried the best ferrite beads I have on both the rotor cable
right at the control box and on the A/C line cord of the control box - with
absolutely NO EFFECT on the problem.

Running output power of about 300-400watts does not impact the rotor presets
- but 1.5KW out drives the RC5A3 presets nuts.

Anyone have a fix for this or some ideas to try?  On a T2x rotor, bypassing
leads 3 and 8 to ground with a .001 1KV capacitor on the back of the control
box has solved similar  RF problems in the past  - but this is the first time
I have had a Create go nuts!

Tks

73 Jeff K1ZM@aol.com