TopBand: KT-34xa and top-loading a shunt-fed tower

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: KT-34xa and top-loading a shunt-fed tower
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 09:04:45 -0400 (EDT)
At 00:44 9/15/97, VE2ZP wrote:

>Hello all:  I'm looking for some advice and the benfit of someone's
>experiece in using the KLM KT-34xa tribander as top-loading for a shunt-fed
>tower on 160m.

>If anyone else has thought of this situation, or has tried connecting any
>of the parasitic elements of the KT-34xa to the boom, please share your
>knowledge and experience with me.

Dave, I installed a KT-34XA in 1983 at my previous Colorado location and
grounded all parasitic elements to the boom primarily for lightning
protection and to hopefully minimize precipitation static.  The antenna
performed very well and BTW still holds the USA record for the CQWW SSB
Contest on 28 MHz set in 1988.  I also grounded the outer conductor of the
coax feedline at the point it connected to the KLM balun.  I have no idea
how to model this on EZNEC but would imagine you could at least assume
straight elements the physical length of the linear loaded elements.  Hope
this is of use to you and others.

73,  Bill  W4ZV