TopBand: Followup Beverage Box

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Followup Beverage Box
From: RHealy@mdsroc.com (Healy, Rus)
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 10:20:05 -0400
The A03 isn't a FET. It's a MMIC--a Mini-Circuits MAR-3, or an HP
MSA-0385. (They're one in the same--all are made by HP [formerly
Avantek].) It's quite an inexpensive device--about $1.50 and is 50 ohms
in and out. See Al (WB5LUA) Ward's two-part 1987 QST series on these
babies.

MMICs are avaliable from Down East Microwave at 908-996-3584. I suggest
that the MAV-11 is a better device for this service than the MAR-3. It's
more destruction-proof. It needs a 150-ohm, 1/2-watt bias resistor to
operate from 13.8 V, rather than the 220- or 330-ohm resistor used for
the MAR-3 at the same supply voltage.

--73, Rus, NJ2L

 -
 ---