TopBand: ANC-4

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: ANC-4
From: W2pm@aol.com (W2pm@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 14:54:15 -0400 (EDT)
Tree et al ..
Re the ANC-4 I has a few messages from people saying they didnt have much
success on 160 with them and since I was having the opposite experience I
started playing ...

First, the sense antenna should be in the near field of the main (receive)
antenna.  This isnt so much the case with the higher bands but it seems to be
critical on 160.  I used several random wires, both tuned and untuned into
the ANC4 and its noise nulling properties were not very good at all. These
wires were not close to the main antenna but were well in the clear. When I
use my standard sense antenna tho - a two meter J pole up 45 ft - I short the
shield and center conductor at the station end and feed that into the ANC4 I
have no problem nulling noise on 160 except when there is lots of QRN - its
just too difficult to pull out the man made junk from Mother Natures.  But,
the coax run - part of the (2 meter) sense antenna - runs right under the
main loop antenna.  A local friend uses a magnetic loop aimed at the main
noise source as his sense antenna for 160 which works well on that specific
noise source.

73 Pete - W2PM
 -
 ---