TopBand: K7K

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: K7K
From: k6se@juno.com (Earl W Cunningham)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 13:03:28 EDT
On Sun, 28 Sep 1997 07:38:34 -0600 n4kg@juno.com (T. A. Russell) writes:

>K7K showed up with a good signal on 40M before east coast sunrise.
>At 1130Z they went to 3503 with a weak signal and proceeded to work
>mostly JA's until 1200Z when they went QRT, just as their signal was
>peaking in western W4 and W8.  Japan shares over 9 hours of mutual
>darkness with Kure Island.  The USA sunrise peak lasts about 30 minutes
>in each area as the sun sweeps across the country.
>
>Wouldn't it be nice if DXpeditioners learned something about
>Low Band Propagation BEFORE going to their destinations?
>
>de  N4KG
===========================
I monitored K7K on 1823 kHz from about 0900Z to 1000Z last night.  He was
still working the 160m pile when I pulled the switch for bed.  He made
dozens (if not hundreds) of topbanders happy (including all call areas of
the USA) with great propagation from Kure to NA/CA/SA.  A sunrise peak
did not appear to be necessary.

Ditto for 80/75m, (0600Z to 0900Z) where K7K's signals were not quite as
strong as on 160m.  Here in So. Calif., he was S9+20 dB on 160m, only
(!?) S9 on 80/75m.

73, de Earl, K6SE

 -
 ---