TopBand: 2 new ones on a piece of wire!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 2 new ones on a piece of wire!
From: n2nl@algorithms.com (Dave Mueller)
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 09:06:47
   I have been listening in amazement at the awesome signal K7K had been
putting into the east coast on 160 the last couple days, and he was even Q5
copy at times on my 20m dipole!  Since I recently took down my somewhat
ineffective 160m inverted L to improve on my very effective 80m vertical
(trying to finish 5BWAZ), I decided to throw up a piece of wire to try to
work them.  Ended up with a 1/4 wave piece of wire that ran up to a tree
about 40' high, draped over the crown of the tree and came back down the
other side, with the end about 5 feet off the ground.  I pruned it to
resonate at 1830KHz, and connected to the feedpoint for my 80m vertical
(pulling the bottom of my 80m vertical aside).  I had no idea how it would
work, but later last night at 0000z FP/W8MV showed up on 1832 and I was
able to work him for a new one on the second call (just a chip shot from
here).
  This morning I was up at 0900 to listen for K7K but I couldn't find him
anywhere.  Finally at 0950 he showed up on 1823 and on the 4th or 5th call
I worked him, for my 2nd new one on that piece of wire!!  BTW, the K7K
seemed much weaker this AM than previous mornings.

  73, Dave N2NL

Oh, FYI....I heard the other night that FP/W8MV was going to get on 80 and
160 if he could get his Kite antenna to fly!!  Since he was on last night,
I guess it worked!

N2NL@ALGORITHMS.COM
Dave Mueller, N2NL
ex KE2PF/NH2/KH0/DU1,3/V63PF