TopBand: Anecdote from ZS

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Anecdote from ZS
From: gsmith.rdi@reutech.co.za (gsmith)
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 09:06:00 +2
Went into the shack at 0327z this morning, and tuned from 1815 to
1835.  Nothing heard.  Up to 1851 to listen to the Differential GPS
"beacon" in Eu.  Much weaker than normal.

Back down to the CW end, but wait, that sounds like SSB on 1850.
Possibly a local farmer?.  Switch to wide filter (CW filter is only 200z
 wide).  Sure enough, ragchew, but with NA accent!

Tried a call.  It went something like this.

        Ragchew
        Ragchew  (A solid 57)
        Pause
        QRZ from ZS5K
        That sounded like a DX station.  Who's the DX from KD3PX?
        KD3PX from ZS5K, ZS5K, over.
        It's a bit weak, doesn't sound like DX anyway.
        Ragchew
        Ragchew

I do appreciate that not all folks are interested in DX on topband,
but it seems a helluva waste of an opening, especially as nothing
else at all was heard this morning.  OH2BUA only had two topband
postings between 00z and 0530z!  The fewest I've seen since being on
the band.

Do these localized openings often occur?  A couple of weeks ago, I
worked 12 stations in the morning lift, and they were all 8's, 9's &
0's.  Time was 0320 to 0350, so no special time in NA.

If any of you guys in PA know KD3PX, you might like to tell him he
was 57 in ZS.  His name is Eugene, but has no E-mail registered with
QRZ.

73 de Greg, ZS5K
 -
 ---