TopBand: Late Boring report

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Late Boring report
From: n6tr@teleport.com (Tree N6TR)
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 06:54:11 -0700 (PDT)
Not only is it Boring - it is late!

Yes - Monday night was a blast.  G4DBN wins the loudest Eu signal
award, but OK1AWZ was briefly almost as loud.  After getting beat
out by VE7FPT and N6FF to an SM, I spun up the band and heard
"WZ DX K" and some USA guys calling.  I dumped my call and the
station came back and gave me a 579.  I responded - still not sure
who I was working.  Then they finally sent their call "OK1Axx".
By the time they got to the xx the QSB had taken his signal into
the noise.

It was a real surf the QSB night, but on the peaks, signals were
559 or 569 or even 579.

Great to finally work EI5HE (a real low duty cycle call).  I listened
to him work W7GG and a couple of Montana stations with hardly a whisper
here, but he came up finally and I was able to clearly hear him
(gave me a 339 and asked for my QTH).

The band was best from 04 to 05Z.  IK2DED had a good signal near the
end of the opening, but wasn't hearing my calls.  Funny how the band
seems to be fading well before local sunrise in Europe.

Of course, nothing last night or either mornings...

I talked to Oleg, R0/UR8LV last night on 20.  He is leaving the artic
in about a month.  This is too bad as he is one of the few zone 18
stations active on topband.  Not sure if he will be on topband before
leaving.

He now says the best QSL route is either via the UR QSL bureau or his
home call (UR8LV).  I still need to send him a card for zone 18.  He
also mentioned he might be headed south to Antartica - so we might
have another station active down there!

73 Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com
 -