TopBand: operating practice

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: operating practice
From: Peter.Chadwick@gpsemi.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 09:16:25 +0100
>K7CA wrote:
>>   I've always thought it good practice to know the call of the
>> station you are trying to call before you call. Am I mistaken?

>Some operators identify so seldom that you have no choice but to work
>them first, and then try to find out the call.  If you wait for them
>to identify, the pileup doubles in size because of the packet spots.

I guess I agree with K7CA - but I'm old fashioned. As Chris says, the
ops who   identify so rarely make things worse, especially with packet
(which I don't have). I guess I've been proud of having my call since I
got it 34 years ago, but some guys seem ashamed of theirs, which is why
they send it so rarely.

One point I would make is that when calling, just dropping in your call
once isn't too helpful - it might be OK in a pile up on 20 when you are
a reasonable strength, but if you're down in the noise, sending it two
or three times helps.

>Is it OK to see a callsign on the packet screen and work the guy
>before he identifies, but not if you don't have packet?

I'd say NO. You could drop yourself in it real easy, by mis ID'ing. I
feel it's cheating - like forging QSLs. I guess you all know why ARRL
don't allow field checking for 160m QSLs - there's been too many QSLs
submitted with a decimal point inserted between the 1 and the 8 to get
top band credit! Who are you cheating then?

73

Peter G3RZP

 -
 ---