TopBand: Condx am of Oct 8

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Condx am of Oct 8
From: jmaass@freenet.columbus.oh.us (Jeffrey Maass)
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 12:11:56 -0400 (EDT)
25904ED5C3B4D1196DA00A0C9410EC201C25D4F@excalibur.swindon.gpsemi.com>
Sender: owner-topband@contesting.com

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Peter Chadwick wrote:

> I notice nobody raving about condx this morning. I found them poor, with
> K8ND just coming out of the QSB, and K1ZM the best signal heard. WT3Y
> wasn't too bad, although I didn't work him.
>
> I figured condx would be lousy - the last two mornings I rolled over and
> went back to sleep, but thought I'd make an effort this morning.

I didn't think conditions were too bad, but somewhat weaker signals and
a bit more QSB than yesterday. Not too many North American stations in the
chase, even before 0500Z.

The word on Topband conditions must be getting spread in EU: several new
callsigns from those heard in the past month were heard here, including
OH3ES, SP5EWY, DK6WL, F6NTV, and F6CXJ. Most were 100% copyable on the
250-foot Beverage.

I believe I posted 20-25 spots to the PacketCluster, but (as is often the
case) our node was isolated from the rest of the world.

I _still_ wasn't able to get LA9GX to hear me.

Now the VKs this morning: THEY were loud! VK3AJJ, VK3ZL, and VK3IO spread
about 1830 with signals 589 rising to 599+10 around dawn here (1100Z to
1118Z). I listened intently for a ZL (one of the easy ones I need for my
since-August 1997 DXCC list: now at 33 countries worked), but no joy.

73,

Jeff Maass       (jmaass@freenet.columbus.oh.us)      Amateur Radio K8ND
      USPSA/IPSC # L-1192   NROI/CRO          NW of Columbus Ohio
      25000 Members in 2000!

 -
 ---