TopBand: Beverage feed line routing

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Beverage feed line routing
From: rick@vax.area.com (Richard Karlquist)
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 20:35:45 -0700 (PDT)
I have been reading up on Beverage antennas, but have not seen much
about proper routing of the feed line to the Beverage.  I gather that
you obviously don't want to run it directly underneath and parallel to the
antenna, but can it be in parallel and spaced away some distance?  I
read that the antenna should be 200 feet away from wire fences.  Is
this also true for coax, or can it be closer that 200 feet due to being
on the ground?  I have seen a technique where a 2 wire beverage is used
with transformers at the end so you can run the coax from either end and
utilize both directions.  Is this technique in general use or is it too
temperamental (or unnecessary)?  Can the deleterious effects of coax be
mitigated by inserting choke coils in the coax at regular intervals to
prevent currents from flowing on the outside of the shield?  What spacing
would be needed?

Rick Karlquist
N6RK
rick@area.com