TopBand: Top-Band(ung) Report

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Top-Band(ung) Report
From: dl8wpx@indo.net.id (Joerg Puchstein, YB1AQS)
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 22:56:09 -0000
Oct 9:
At least the band sometimes opens even for me.
After being frustrated hearing Mike VK6HD working
the whole US in a string a couple of nights before
the Westcoast again came through for a short moment.
Got my 'pilot station' first - thanks Bob N7UA.
Tree N6TR was next, followed by Bob W7TSQ. Then it
faded out. Still have heard some stations calling
but no copy anymore.

At my sunrise Kai OH3LYG was 599 here but didn't listen
to my calls - so no qso with Europe.
At least got a nice chat with Pavel OK1DX/MM near 8Q7
in zone 22.

Oct 10:
Was sleeping early, missed the US opening. Got up after
midnight local (17:00Z). At 19:50Z heard Milan OK1AWZ in
QSO wit VK3AJJ. Then on 1835 a European pile-up with Lothar
DL5ANT the loudest here. Guess they were calling FH/DJ2BW.
Called myself fully 50 minutes for Europe - frustrating
not to get any response hearing them so well.
Switched then listening to 1911 and got 12x JA at there
sunrise into the log.
uring this Milan detected me and we made a fb QSO.
Immediately afterwards a whole bunch of stations was calling.
Maybe it's better sometimes not to wait for a spot in the
packet cluster but to observe the band a bit?
Unfortunately the 'midnight' opening into Europe (first
opening with peak abt. 20:30Z, two hours before my sunrise)
as now fading out already, only Lothar DL5ANT still made
it into the log. Heard DJ7MI calling but he didn't come
back anymore.
Nothing heard later at my sunrise, will try to be up now more
often from abt. 20:00Z (3:00am local) on 1829.3 for Europe
and Japan.

73,

Joerg YB1AQS

 -