TopBand: not Boring report - N6TR

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: not Boring report - N6TR
From: n6tr@teleport.com (Tree N6TR)
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 07:32:05 -0700 (PDT)
The WWV numbers have been looking good all week.  Heard a peep out
of G4DBN a few nights ago and some of the guys in Washington worked
a few, but nothing down in Oregon.

Last night, I heard another peep out of IV3PRK just at sunset, but had
to go take one of my daughters to an ice cream social at school.  When
I got back, there were only a few stations on the band (it was still
03Z and the rest were sleeping).  DJ7AA and SM4CAN were a kHz apart
and on QSB peaks were moving S-meters.  DJ6RX woke up shortly thereafter.

I tried a few CQs and SM3BDZ starting calling CQ on my frequency, but
came right back.  Other stations worked included LA9IAA, OH8LAE, SP2EWQ,
SM5EDX, GM3POI (who wins the big signal award), LA9GX, LA6WEA  (on SSB),
G3PQA and then CAN, RX and POI again as the band started to fizzle.

Heard but not worked included OK1AWZ and SM3CVM and a few others.

SM3CVM and SM3POI were the last signals heard as the band faded around
05:30.

The QSB surf was in full force.  During peaks, stations could be worked
in a few seconds.  During nulls, they could not be heard at all.  I
tired to keep my transmissions short as a result.

October has been a very good month from here.  Hoping the 3DA0 gets
some propagation next week.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com