TopBand: Long Path QSOs

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Long Path QSOs
From: sire@omen.com.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 05:49:17 +0800
I was very interested to see Earl, K6SE's e-mail about long path QSOs.  Here
in VK6 at the height of the northern hemisphere DX season, we get 'long
path' openings into the eastern USA each year on a couple of days at our
sunrise, although Jack, VE1ZZ is a regular in here 'LP' from September until
February.

>From memory, my best QSOs have been KM1H (NH), KA1PE (ME), VE1ZZ (NS) and
VO1NA (NFD), with 'heard' reports from farther east.  I am sure Mike VK6HD
has worked longer LP distances into the USA than this.

The major constraint on working this particular path is when it is open (and
the opening only lasts about two minutes), it also opens spectacularly to
Europe. Hearing USA stations through a stronger and very large EU pile-up
has been the limiting factor for me so far.

On the subject of very long distances, in the CQ WW 160 Contest in 1996,
Mike and I both heard VP9AD at RST 559 at our sunset for about 10 minutes.
I think this is considerably farther east than our equinoctial point and
could also thus be counted as LP.  Unfortunately, no QSOs resulted...

Let's hear some more about LP QSOs from other parts of the world.

Mni 73,

Steve, VK6VZ