TopBand: Long path openings.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Long path openings.
From: 100374.252@compuserve.com (J & AJ Robertson)
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 03:33:30 -0400
First time into this reflector which always provides great reading.  K6SE's
comments about old time long path openings have certainly changed .  From
ZL2 near the capital Wellington I work  all over the British Isles plus EA
CT GU2 F EA8 on long path over South America from early Sept to late April
every year. London is 12000 miles on his route.  My best was OY9JD @ 13000
miles last year the first ever Qso between ZL/OY and on SSB.  Short path is
much better to other parts of EU but not so reliable into the long path
areas above.  Short path is 9 to 10000 miles.  At times the long path is
very badly upset by aurora but then we get fb openings to the north eg KL7
VE  and most of the northen States just before the aurora closes all DX
routes. 73 Jim ZL2JR