TopBand: More on vertical vs dipole

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: More on vertical vs dipole
From: gsmith.rdi@reutech.co.za (Greg Smith)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 08:08:12 +0200
Have been reading the observations on the above with interest, especially
those from VK6VZ and KM1H.  I've only been QRV on the band for about 10
weeks, so don't have the experience of the above, but here are my thoughts
anyway.

At this atage I am using a vertical.  It is 30m high with yagi top loading
at 20m, and a 10m Al top section.  I have around 25 radials, of various
lengths.  I was quite encouraged in August, as I was able to work YC0LOW at
2000z, when another local using a dipole was not.

My encouragement was rather short-lived, however, as recent results have
been disappointing.  I looked on the Webcluster yesterday, and there were
98 intercontinental postings for this band between 00 and 06z.  When I
listened at our sunrise (0315z) I could just hear parts of a single call
from Eu.  There was very little difference in copy between the vertical and
an 80m Beverage I have.  I have a good ground at present, as we have had
plenty of rain.  I checked the continuity of my Beverage the other day, and
the DC resistance to ground was equal to the termination, so there is
little ground resistance.

I have been wondering if it's just a hemisphere thing, and now that we are
almost into summer, condtions are just more difficult.  But, as VK6VZ says,
 Vk6HD is making contacts using his horizontal antenna.

I've been wondering whether it's possible that at certain times it's just
necessary to have high angle radiation,  irrespective of the ground losses
in or just outside the near field.  Is it possible that there is a vestige
of E layer remaining all through the night, which, if the takeoff angle is
too low, just reflects all the RF back to ground prematurely?  If that were
the case, higher angle radiation would be refracted instead of reflected at
this layer, with it ending up going in  the right direction for low angle
reflection off the higher F layer.

I was intending to have a 160m bash during CQWW SSB next weekend, but I
shall try and erect an inverted Vee at the 20m level before the weekend.  I
just have this feeling that the vertical isn't going to give me many
contacts at this time of the year.  At least with a second antenna the
chances should be better.

73 de Greg, ZS5K