TopBand: Vertical vs horizontal

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Vertical vs horizontal
From: CATALANO_DENIS_E@hq.navsea.navy.mil (CATALANO_DENIS_E@hq.navsea.navy.mil)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 12:25:57 -0400
     Yes, it was 73 magazine that used to sponsor those single band
     contests on 160M, 80M, 40M...  I think it was SSB only.  It was my
     first experience working a 160M contest in the early 1980's.  To add
     my 2 cents worth,  I have had little luck with verticals over poor
     ground in Northern Virginia... make that little luck with working DX.
     I was successful getting a few new hams interested in DXing, after
     watching me struggle with aluminum pipes, and radial wire.  I'm sure
     it was amusing.
                                       73 Denis, W4DC / VP2MFM