TopBand: More on vertical vs. dipole

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: More on vertical vs. dipole
From: midnite2@concentric.net (Robert A. Kile)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 20:43:49 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01BCDD98.DE4EB980

While on this subject I will again point out that the best antenna is =
the antenna most suited to the application and purpose desired. Many =
years ago while being tutored by WA7ILC on topband operation I had =
several opportunities to operate from his QTH. While not a barn burner =
to the east his signal pounded into JA. His location was about 200 ft =
elevation below the peak of a 700 ft hill. At about 60ft he had an open =
wire fed double extended Zepp that because of the slope and lay of the =
terrain looked to the NW from Columbia Heights in Longview, Wa. There =
were many times when the JA's and VS6DO pegged the S-meter of the Drake =
C-line.

For the average guy with little space perhaps the vertical is the best =
bet in flat terrain. Without really tall supports I concur the vertical =
will outplay the dipole most times. W4ZV and others will indicate that =
at times the dipole or inverted vee will work best.I'm still looking for =
that perfect accessible location that has steep slopes to the NE, NW, SE =
and SW where I can suspend low dipoles and take advantage of low loss =
antenna and ground reflection supplement of sloping terrain.  The proof =
would be in the pudding!

73
Bob, KG7D
Las Vegas

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01BCDD98.DE4EB980

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>While on this subject I will again =
point out=20
that <U>the best</U> antenna is the antenna <U>most suited </U>to the=20
application and purpose desired. Many years ago while being tutored by =
WA7ILC on=20
topband operation I had several opportunities to operate from his QTH. =
While not=20
a barn burner to the east his signal pounded into JA. His location was =
about 200=20
ft elevation below the peak of a 700 ft hill. At about 60ft he had an =
open wire=20
fed double extended Zepp that because of the slope and lay of the =
terrain looked=20
to the NW from Columbia Heights in Longview, Wa. There were many times =
when the=20
JA's and VS6DO pegged the S-meter of the Drake C-line.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>For the average guy with little =
space perhaps=20
the vertical is the best bet in flat terrain. Without really tall =
supports I=20
concur the vertical will outplay the dipole most times. W4ZV and others =
will=20
indicate that at times the dipole or inverted vee will work =
best.</FONT><FONT=20
color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I'm still looking for that perfect accessible =
location that=20
has steep slopes to the NE, NW, SE and SW where I can suspend low =
dipoles and=20
take advantage of low loss antenna and ground reflection <FONT=20
color=3D#000000>supplement </FONT>of sloping terrain.&nbsp; The proof =
would be in=20
the pudding!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>73</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Bob, KG7D</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Las Vegas</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01BCDD98.DE4EB980--