TopBand: Boring report - a KH5!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Boring report - a KH5!
From: n6tr@teleport.com (Tree N6TR)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 08:54:18 -0700 (PDT)
A very interesting evening (once again).  Started with great signals
from DJ7AA and DJ6RX (who was even louder than Wil) working N7UA
at 0205Z!  An easy two QSOs.  Found SP2EWQ shortly afterward calling
some lonely CQs.

Had to do baths for the three girls, but snuck in to check on the band
from time to time - not hearing much.  Heard OH1NOR and SM4HCM during
the 03/04Z hours.  Finally, things started to pick up around 06Z and
I had a nice run of UK/DL stations...  then it got very interesting...

DL1BWI called me around 0625Z - this is very late for DL.  Then DJ7AA
showed up and worked me several times - with the last QSO taking place
at 08:15 UTC - almost an hour and a half after his sunrise!  I will
let Wil tell his side of the story - but this was very amazing!

While I was heating up the shack calling CQ, I was called by the KH5
with a 579 signal.  I forget the call off hand (N4BWQ?/KH5) and it
sounded like he was using a hand key.  This was around 0805Z or
so.

Heard a couple of the ZLs working GW4VEQ.  Tony was peaking S9 around
his sunrise.  KH6CC worked some Europe as well.  Still hope the
HB0 shows up sometime in their morning.

It sure will be nice when standard time kicks in this weekend and
moves European sunrise up an hour.  Also, if anyone needs Louisana,
I will be QRV from there for 2 or 3 evenings from W5WMU (probably
using N6TR/5).  I arrive on the 30th of October.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com