TopBand: Help With Antenna Ideas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Help With Antenna Ideas
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 15:42:22 EDT
OK guys...the frost has arrived so I'm ready for antenna work. Need some
advice on what to put up for 80 and 160...next phase.
This is what I am considering:

        4 Sq of 1/4 wave verticals with elevated radials. These will be
hanging from ropes off the tower and will not be fully vertical. Roughly
40-50' spacing at the top and 1/4 wave at the bottom....both bands.

        4 Sq of 1/2 wave sloping dipoles

        Array of 3 or 4  1/2 waveslopers with any alternate pair fed in
phase and the remainders floating with 3/8 wave feedlines.

The first 2 choices would use the Comtek phasing box. In all cases this
has to be simple. No fancy test equipment or LC networks....coax only if
the Comtek approach wont fly.  No, I can not put up real vertical
aluminum...the towers must be the support structure; they are 170' and
100' tall.

My goal is good to better F/B AND the maximum radiation in the 10-30
degree range.
Attenuation of high angles is a plus.

I've read the books and played with AO....just gets me more confused ! Am
I the only one ?

Tnx  Carl  KM1H