TopBand: Beverage Sweep

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Beverage Sweep
From: lew@teleport.com (lew@teleport.com)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 09:06:16 -0700 (PDT)
OK..So I brew up 4 580' long Beverages, each one terminated with a 560
Ohm resistor on one end, with an I.C.E. Beverage Box utilizing the 600
ohm connection on the other end. These feed into a DX Engineering Coax
feed box, with each Beverage having 100 ferrite beads on the RG-58 that
goes into the switch box.
    These play very well it seems with 50-60 dB "F/B" in quieting down a
handy tuning fool from back East somewhere when I go from the Caribbean
Beverage to the JA Beverage. It also would enable me to copy several of
the European stations on 160M last night that weren't copyable on the
vertical or the dipole when using the shortpath Beverage.
   The question for the group: When I get around to sweeping the SWR on
these things I get between the range of 1.3:1 to 2:1 from 10-1.7 MHz. I
used the MFJ "SWR Analyser" to do this. Is this a lousy SWR? Is this a
great SWR? Should I waste more time trying to make the SWR flat? What
should I expect in the way of SWR?
    My gut tells me that this is an OK kind of SWR and to get busy doing
other things around the station. I generally don't worry too much if the
SWR on any of my Tx antennas is < 2:1.
   "The Proof of the Pudding is in the Eating"
    73 and I remain,
       Lew

         Lew Sayre W7EW/W7AT              lew@teleport.com
         P.O.Box  3110                    Fax 503-391-2258
         Salem, Oregon 97302              160M thru 1296MHz