TopBand: 2 bits of data for vert vs dip.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 2 bits of data for vert vs dip.
From: gsmith.rdi@reutech.co.za (Greg Smith)
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 07:56:22 +0200
In spite of the generally acknowledged bad condx last weekend (K3LPL, if
you want to hear QRN try operating from here!), I did manage a couple of
QSO's with the US.

2 of the ops there were obliging enough to allow me to compare a dipole at
16m I put up especially for the weekend, with my 30m vertical.

The verdict - One of them said the vertical won by 2-3 dB, the other said
they were evens.

The conclusion?  Who knows.  Maybe my vertical does not have a very
efficient radial system, but, as I have said previously, the DC resistance
of my ground is very low at present.  Like VK6VZ,  I would be hard pressed
to increase the number or length of radials, anyway.

The comparison was done at my sunrise, and previous opinions (N6TR) have
been that propagation may favour high angle radiation only at this time.
My QRN was too high to copy anyone at midnight, let alone do a comparison.

This is only two bits of evidence.  It would be interesting for others to
report other comparisons as they happen.

73 de Greg, ZS5K.