TopBand: square long wire

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: square long wire
From: km3g@cts.com (Lane C. Zeitler)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 21:30:52 -0800
Gentlemen,
I have a city lot about 65' X 140'. I have laid out (so far) about 400' of
wire which mostly follows the perimeter with some going into my very nice
neigbhors yard. Looking down from the air it looks like a trapazoid. I can
add about another 100' before I hit the 'beginning" for a total of ~ 500'
in a fairly nice trapazoid pattern.

Question 1.

If I "linear load" this wire a la KLM style will it be of any benefit?? I
can turn the trapazoid into this (looking down from the air):

_______            _______
|       |       |       |
|       |       |       |
|       |       |       |
|       |       |       |
|       |       |       |
|       |_______|       |
|                       |
|       _____________ |
|       |
|       |
|       |_____________
|                       |
|                       |
|                       end of wire

|____________________to xcvr

I figure I can get about an additional 200 to 250' of wire for a total of
about 700 to 750' of wire by using the "loading".

Is it worth it??

Question 2. I can terminate the "end" of the wire but do not know if this
will be of any value. Currently the wire is NOT going through any matching
devices at all, just straight into an old Knwd R-1000 test receiver. As it
is, it hears very well on 7 mhz and up but only so-so on 75 meters and nada
on 160. it is also VERY noisey. It averages about 6 to 7 feet off of the
ground. I say again it is VERY noisey.

Comments and opinions MOST welcome.

73s

Lane