TopBand: Need info on vertical with top loading

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Need info on vertical with top loading
From: George.Guerin@kellogg.com (George Guerin)
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 16:37:41 -0500
--IMA.Boundary.538976878

     Hi Leon:

     What you describe below would be resonant on 80 meters, over a decent
     radial system.  Since it is top loaded, the impedance at resonance
     will be less than 36 ohms, maybe 30 ohms with little top loading.

     ON4UN's Low Band DXing books show his linear loading for a taller
     vertical.  I guess you could put up a "hairpin" full height and come
     close to resonance on 160.  Linear loading is typically 70 percent
     efficient if done at the feed point.  However, the impedance will be
     very low at the feed point.  Some sort of matching network will be
     needed to get to 50 ohms.

     Another approach:  make an inverted L out of it.  Make a trap for 80
     meters, using coil stock, or wire wound on a piece of UV resistant PVC
     conduit or pipe.  2-1/2 inch PVC is actually 2-7/8 OD, which is a good
     size.  Use two door knob ceramic capacitors, totalling 150 to 200 pfd
     to make the trap resonant at about 3525 Khz.  Put the trap about 20
     feet out from the top of the mast to get 80 meter resonance and then
     extend the wire out for 160 resonance.  The trap will give you some
     inductive loading so you will be about 15 feet shorter than a total
     length of 128 feet from feed point to end insulator beyond the trap.
     The antenna probably needs a 9:4 UnUn to get the impedance on 160 up
     close to 50 ohms.

     George, K8GG.